Hasegawa 1/48 Macchi C. 205 Veltro
ANR Greyhound
by Jean Barby
Technical Data:
Aircraft:
Macchi C.205 Serie III
Manufacturer:
Aeronautica Macchi S.p.A.
Type:
Fighter
Year:
1943
Engine:
Daimler Benz DB 605A, 12-cylinder V, liquid-cooled, 1,475hp
Wingspan:
34 ft 8 1/2 in (10.59m)
Length:
29 ft 1 in (8.85 m)
Height:
10 ft (3.05 m)
Weight:
7,120 lb (3,224 kg) (Loaded)
Maximum Speed:
403 mph (650 km/h) at 24,300 ft (7,400 m)
Ceiling:
37,200 ft (11,350 m)
Range:
646 miles (1,040 km)
Armament:
2 x 12.7 mm SAFATs (0.5 in), 2 x 20mm cannons
Crew:
1

Additional Images:
Click on the STORMO! Eagle to return to the Gallery
The MC 205 "Veltro" needs no introduction to the people at  "Stormo",  especially after the article presented by the master modeller, Riccardo Trotta.  In this article I try to make the Hasegawa kit look like a real 205. The reason is that the Hasegawa 202/205 are both hybrids in their own styles, and, when built from the box, leave much to be desired, in my modest opinion. I was also very tempted to do this build  because I really like the Herringbone scheme seldom seen thus far. I do apologise for the French sentences you may find in some of the step by step photos. So even if you do not speak or read French, the pictures need no dictionnary for the "85").
October, 2008
STORMO! 2008

The first step in construction was to deal with the wings where you must suppress the existing panels and re-scribed the new ones to the proper oval shape, that's for the top. On the underside the shell ejection holes must be improved. For that operation I made a greater hole, and I built the structure with thin plasticard.  It is a much easier process than drilling and filing. Using the Maurizio di Terlizzi book I worked my way to the nose of the plane, where, again new access hatches must be scribed, and some must go.
I like my Macchis to look like the real thing. That's why I used a resin engine to simulate the end of the DB605. I also built the fire wall and as many connection hoses as I could using the pictures from the Aerodetail book. Plasticard is used for the holed plates around the wheel bays, and the undercarriage legs are treated as a separate unit. Resin wheels are from Ultracast. Of course some dry fitting will help to get the thing right.
The cockpit was made using the excellent but now OOP FM set; I sincerely hope that it'll be available again somewhere because its an outstanding set. You may judge now the result of the previous work on the wheel bay.  Dominant color is the Verde anticorrosione, mine is from an old Aeromaster tin.
Using the Eduard photoetch set to dress the radiator, enhanced the whole thing. Nevertheless you will have to add two retraction arms to the movable plate as the kit shows only one. The stabilisors are from Sky and a rod was used to assure the proper alignement of both parts. Some more details were added to the undercarriage doors, attachements to the leg.  Plasticard and punch and die were put to good use there. Be aware that the contour of the door is different on the 205.
The painting process was very classic: Griggio Azzuro Chiaro for the underside.  Masking of the underside leaving the leading edge free for Nocchiola Chiaro, and then the "Herringbone" stripes in Verde Oliva Scuro. Decals are from Italian kit and I did the same mistake on the right side that I did on my Centauro: I put the flag with the red in front! I have rectified this since then. The final touch was the use of Ultracast exhaust, and "Voila" a new "Veltro" in my collection!