BoB CR.42 advice needed

Post topics relating to the Italian involvement in the Battle of Britain
T.E. Bell
Pilota

BoB CR.42 advice needed

Post by T.E. Bell » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:03 pm

I have an assignment to build a 1/48 CR.42 in markings appropriate for a Battle of Britain machine. Luckily, Vince came through, since I learned the proper Aeromaster sheet is no longer available (after Squadron bought them out, they are apparently selling them off and not reprinting any of the Aeromaster sheets, which is a real shame. Only SuperScale sheets are being made right now by Squadron. No more Eagle Strike either, since they too were bought out by Squadron.)

Anyway, here's the important questions: I'm new to WW II Italian modeling, but am really finding it fascinating. The only kit of the CR.42 I was able to get is the Tamiya boxing of the Italeri kit in the schemes of four late-war Luftwaffe nightfighters, with added night exhaust extensions, a small fret of bombs, and the mandatory fret of Tamiya oil drums and Jerry cans (now how many of us have a spares box full of nothing but these?).

Questions: What mods do I need to make to get this thing accurate for my BoB machine (in markings of Bisleri)? Are the exhaust stubs as they come right off the collector ring accurate? Or do they need work? I have the Eduard fret for it, but it has that accursed flat 'tubular' framing for the cockpit, but the "walls" that come with the kit, with raised detail for the framing, aren't any better. Any suggestions?

At least the Eduard instrument panels are nice as is the engine detail. Any other AM stuff for this kit? Finally, is there a cockpit photo I can refer to anywhere on the web? It's for a magazine build feature and the rivet-counters will be laying for me.
Thanks,
TOM