NEWS: Fiat CR.32 Colors and Camouflage Spanish Civil War

STORMO! History Article updates
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

NEWS: Fiat CR.32 Colors and Camouflage Spanish Civil War

Post by Editor » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:40 am

Today Alfredo Logoluso brings us a companion article to his popular book "Osprey No. 94 : Fiat CR.32 Aces of the Spanish Civil War". This two part detailed article covers the color and camouflage schemes of the Fiat CR.32s used in the Spanish Civil War. Part I covers the period 1936-37.

(Click the image to view)

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

CR32 in Spanish Civil War

Post by Aeroal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:02 am

Vince,

An excellent article, neatly responding to the colour and camouflage scheme queries regarding this publication which I posted on Stormo, just after Alfredo's excellent book became available. Thoroughly enjoyable! It is so satisfying to have clarification to queries I thought no one would be able to answer.

Regards,

Aeroal.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:54 am

Aeroal,
I agree, the artcile fills in a critical gap in this area. I think the next step following this article is to document the corresponding FS numbers for the colors, however as Alfredo has indicated, this may not be an easy task.

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Fiat CR32 in Spanish Civil War

Post by Aeroal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:15 am

Vince,

I look forward to Alfredo's second piece to see what further gems he might reveal. Part one is already copied and put into my book's fly leaf as an addendum reference.

I can only think that while it might be possible to ascertain F.S. numbers for the paints used in the later, more regulated colour schemes. Trying to accurately envisage the original non-standard colours would be akin to searching for a needle in a haystack. That is unless someone in Spain happens to have some aviation relic carefully squirrelled away in a barn somewhere? Unfortunately the chances of this happening are probably slim, so we can only await further enlightenment from Alfredo's meticulous research work.

Regards,

Aeroal.

Chris Busbridge
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Chris Busbridge » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:18 am

Good choice of schemes to try on the Silver Wings Cr.32 kit, especially as the decals are not that great. I've been raiding my decal bank to come up with alternatives, but this article might help decide once and for all. Particularly like the silver machine with what looks like daubed paint all over it!

JeffZ
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by JeffZ » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 pm

This is a great article, I enjoyed it immensely!