Macchi 202 Prototype

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
GAJouette
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Macchi 202 Prototype

Post by GAJouette » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:23 am

Hello All,
I've made a little more progress on my Macchi 202 prototypes.For this project I'm using two 21st. Century Toys Macchi 202 kits.Both have had their humps modified by filling the rear view cutouts with plactic card stock and putty.One has now been cut down for it's new canopy,this will be what I call Version 1.When completed it will be in natural metal with a small supercharger intake,no wing gun or access panels, and no first aid hatch.The second Prototype version 2 will sport full camoflage,national markings. I'll be painting this version (2) in the C8 pattern sometimes reffered to as Poached Eggs. The main difference between versions 1 and 2 will be thier supercharger intakes and the number of cooling slots carried .If any of you know of additional differences please let me know.Information on the sole Prototype 202 is very thin.
Now I have a few questions for you .On the Prototype where was the fuselage fuel tank fueling access located? From my gathered info. on the 202 it's plain to see that the fueling access is located on the upper section of the hump on the production series aircraft. Concerning the fuselage MG's,was the prototype fully armed?I have a good drawing of the rollover structure from the Macchi 200 series,would this be the type as used on a 202?Does anyone have any info. on the Prototypes history? Was it modified to combat standards and issued to a Squadriglia?
I guess I've bored you enough with my question for now Thank You in advance for any and all directions.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:38 am

Hi Gregory,
I've been away to Abu Dhabi for the past few weeks. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your two C.202 Prototypes. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of information on these planes. The cutouts for the two 12.7mm MGs on the nose suggest the plane was armed. The location of the fuel fill panel on the dorsal fin on late production C.202s was located directly above the 80 liter fuel tank. I'm not sure where the fuel tank was located on the prototype however the fuel fill panel might have been located on the right side fuselage or inside the dorsal fairing accessible through the glass panes. The rollover structure probably wasn't that dissimilar to the C.200. Note the color profile below, the unpainted panels may have been left in anticorrosion green.

GAJouette

Post by GAJouette » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:36 am

Vince,
Thanks for the input.I'd bet you're happy to be back to the world (home).At least Abu Dhabi is somewhat better than Saudi Arabia where I spent 27 month years ago,late 70's early 80's.Learned an important lesson though, Never Volunteer for Anything.Thanks again I hope to have a least one of the prototypes finished by late August or early September.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:22 am

Gregory,
I've travelled quite allot, but I think you hit-it on the head ... I sure am glad to be home! The ME is the ME and besides its way too hot there. It averaged above 50C the entire time I was there with about 80%+ humidity. Now I fully understand what they mean when they say Canada is too cold .. certainly judging but those heat standards! Its a balmy 20C in CGY and loving it :)!