Q's about 218 SQD SM-81?????

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
fauste
Pilota

Q's about 218 SQD SM-81?????

Post by fauste » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:12 am

Hi everyone

I'm new on this forum......

I have several questions about the Sm-81 of the 218 sqd 54 Gr 18 stormo....in particular a/c no 218-4 with a large moon shield on the tail (Sky models decals), in particular:
- which cowlings, large or short chord should be used
- the engines were equipped with additional sand filters
- how many turrets had this a/c both or only the upper one

ANy picture of this a(c exists?????

Regards and thank you in advance

Jose Luis

chris.buz
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by chris.buz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:59 am

There is a colour profile of this aircraft in Courage Alone. It has both turrets and the short chord cowls, but no sign of sand filters?! Please note that the engines in the Supermodel kit are generic. The SM81 were fitted with three engines types: 9 cylinder Alfa Romeo 125/6; 14 cylinder Gnome Rhome K14 or 9 cylinder Piaggio Stella IX RC40's. In this instance, I believe 218-4 would have been fitted with the Alfa Romeo engines, for which you will need aftermarket engines. Vectors Bristol Mercury/Pegasus engines are the best ones. See the link below:

http://www.neomega-resin.com/vector/british.htm

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea

NocteFavente

Post by Rick » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:12 am

I remember I had this photo on the CMPR Notiziario #25,July- August 1975; I hope you will appreciate it
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

fauste
Pilota

Thank you, but...

Post by fauste » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:49 pm

really very useful and appreciated Riccardo, but now the things are even worse...according to this picture it seems dark green over light green, but this scheme (C3 or C3A) was not used on the SM-81, it was really true or the colours were verde mimetico over Giallo mimetico 3, schemes C2A/C2B

Also the profile at "Corugae Alone" or the instructions of Skymodel or Supermodel state green over giallo.......

What it is the correct scheme......????

Regards and thank you again by the picture

Jose Luis

Rick

S81 photo

Post by Rick » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:14 am

As I wrote in the post the issue is very old (1975) so what is written in the caption is surely out of date and is to be updated with the more recent studies about RA camouflage; I posted the photo because I thought it was interesting as photo itself
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

scapleplastic

Post by scapleplastic » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:19 am

hello! i have been questioning the green over green camo. is this real? i have many reference guides and some support the scheme. what does mr . caruana think? the tri color sand brown and green has been sort of forgotten until lately it seems. i once built a half ass decent fiat g-50 with a zero cowl(airfix g-50) based on the squadron profile with green/green. won the prize, but not sure it was right. looked good, but rather lame.