W.I.P. Fiat G-55 1/32 P.C.M. COMPLETED !

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
Starflyer
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Starflyer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:33 am

Of course Vincent,

I try to explain ab my best how I did scraping on this model.

After the final coat of paint I wait that it became dry and start to scraping using differnt "tools".

At first I remove in a very gently way paint using sand paper 2000 grit (wet in the water) until I see the undercoat appearing. This operation involve a very small areas (3x4mm square) in places where I suppose paint is more damaged because shoes of pilots/mechanics.

Than I use a "special tools"......home made:
That helps to reproduce scratchs on the surfaces.

For more aggressive scraping I use cutter blade to remove small area of paint until the aluminimum came out.

All of that sould be dosed in a right way otherwise you could have a relict effect on the model.

In my case for example, looking with eyes of the day after, I say that I dont' like too much the results because is too much on this G-55. I will reduce the "aged" area by salt and painting again only in some precise area to get more equilibrate effect.
I say this because I am constantly reading the beautiful "Camouflage and Markings of the A.N.R. by D'amico- Valentini book, and I "see" the real G-55 wasn't so scraped, this is my interpretation of course.

I hope to I've been clear, but if you have more question please ask again.
Davide Splendore

Vincent Fiore
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Scraping

Post by Vincent Fiore » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:00 pm

Thank you so much Davide! I think I understand your methods I see that you wind steel wool around ear swabs as your home made tools.
Looking forward to your next phase of painting.

Thank you so much for your rapid response.

Vincent

Starflyer
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Insigna doubts.....

Post by Starflyer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:32 am

Hi so far friends,

I start with the last phase of painting and decaling.

Fisrst of all the Future wax coat helps to mache the G-55 shiny before apply decals..

Than decaling quite easy and fast................but....

As you see the upper right and underside right insigna are missing.
I would like to ask to someone of you about because I am litte bit confused about insigna on G-55 in ANR.
Of course I am using ad a reference the book "Camouflage and markings of A.N.R." but just in this book I found something strange.....

At page 25 there is color profile and sentence about standar late factory marknigs:

But if you watch sell the G-55 shown in the picture of the book is totally differente from the color profile......look at the insigna inside red and blue circle:

It seems the profile and sentence about standar insigna in the factory is wrong.... :?:

Since I am replicating the subject in the profile at page 95:

I am afraid also this indication frmo that page could be not exact, also because in the profile (Richard J.Caruana) of instructions of the kit P.C.M. the insigna are totally different from the book at page 95:

Can some of you hel me to "kill" my doubts about the 8 "yellow" g-55 coming from Fiat factory with standard insigna in the 1944?

Thank you so much for any answer.
Davide Splendore

D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by D520 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:06 am

Davide why not contact the author and submit your questions? Signor D'Amico is a gentleman and I am sure he will help you.May be you can get in toutch trough M. Di Terlizzi. Excellent work BTW! Ciao, Jean.

Starflyer
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Why not

Post by Starflyer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:16 am

Thank you for the suggestion Jean, I already wrote to M. Di Terlizzi and waiting for an answer but I don't know address where to contact Sig. D'amivo or Valentini, do you have?
Davide Splendore

Rick

D'Amico contact

Post by Rick » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:44 pm

I alredy answered you on the other site modellismopiù, reporting D'Amico consideration coming from the analysis of several photos.
You can contact D'Amico on the site:
www.150gct.it
This matter was already discussed in a series of posts; D'Amico will surely provide you the address of the posts
Ciao
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

Rick

D'Amico post

Post by Rick » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:57 pm

I had already provided you the information on another site, but it seems you were not able to find the information

I attach the post by D'Amico, taken in the above mentioned site;
I hope now the question can be considered solved and that D'Amico will not be angry for this reporting

"Mi rendo conto che quanto sto per scrivere avviene con notevole ritardo e me ne scuso in parte, anche perchè nel resto del tempo ho una vita che scorre con tutti i più o meno spiacevoli annessi e connessi.

In ogni caso, mi accingo a riferire un grosso errore relativo alle insegne dei G.55 da noi commesso nella compilazione del libro. A dire il vero, l'errore è venuto alla luce in maniera chiara solo dopo la pubblicazione del libro stesso, a seguito del ritrovamento di alcune foto e della pubblicazione di altre, quindi può essere considerato una integrazione/correzione a quanto scritto e rappresentato graficamente.

Si tratta del "verso" dei fasci alari del Fiat G.55.

Contrariamente a quanto avveniva in ditta nella Macchi, nella Siai-Marchetti e (generalmente) nei reparti operativi, I fasci alari applicati sui G.55 erano di norma rivolti verso sinistra (lama esterna sinistra in alto, lama esterna destra in basso) su entrambe le ali.

Ecco alcune foto a supporto di questa tardiva "scoperta":

La cosa avveniva anche sotto le ali...

Come già scritto invece, nel caso di mimetica in 74/75/76 che veniva applicata sopra quella di fabbrica, i fasci sotto le ali venivano mascherati e quindi mantenevano sia lo sfondo bianco che il "verso" originale, mantre quelli sopra le ali venivano applicati ex-novo a spruzzo mediante stencil, dando però ad essi il "verso" corretto, cioè con le lame esterne rivolte verso l'alto su ambo le ali, come risulta chiaramente visibile dalle due seguenti immagini riprese anteriormente rispetto alle ali...

Di tale correzione ho già informato Abraxa che ha infatti realizzato su tutte le sue nuove skin i fasci nel nuovo modo corretto.

Aggiungo infine per Alberto una visione del lato destro di un G.55 con la mimetica tedesca che mostra ulteriormente l'assenza di stencils...

Colgo l'occasione per scusarmi nuovamente anche a nome dell'amico e collega Gabriele Valentini per la tardiva correzione (in modo particolare con Alberto e con Doorgunner - alias Maurizio Di Terlizzi - che hanno in corso d'opera due G.55...), ma tutto ciò prova ancora una volta che porre la parola definitiva su una ricerca è pressochè impossibile. In fondo anche la vita è un "work in progress"...

Cordialmente

Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

D520

Post by D520 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:39 pm

Ha ha Riccardo ! tu e un Maestro! Ciao e buon natale! :D :D

Starflyer
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Starflyer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Thank you so much Riccardo,

Iknow the "true" will came from you as always. I just realize you answer also on the other website and I was looking for the D'amico topic you mention.

I also get in private opinion from M. Di Terlizzi that confirm what D'amico and you write.

Thank you again for your strong support.

Now I can go on with building the model and go fast to the end.

Ciao Merry Cristhmas
Davide Splendore

Starflyer
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

The completed model

Post by Starflyer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi guys,

It seems, I am arrived to the end of the project.

Just photos to show you the result hoping you like it.

For any questions I am here, don't hesitate to ask thank you for watching.

Davide Splendore

D520

Post by D520 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Bravo Davide un capolavoro! Ciao e a presto, jean;

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Beautiful work, incredible detail! Please send in article for the Gallery if you can.

Chris Busbridge

Post by Chris Busbridge » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:05 am

One of the best G.55 models I've seen...

The scuff marks on the wing roots look very convincing.

gruson
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by gruson » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:40 am

Hey Man, you work is magnificent !!! Lovely !!!

jrlucero
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by jrlucero » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:07 am

Most impressive work Davide! Every time I see a model and how graciously you share your techniques I get inspired to build more.

Best regards,

José
Just build it!

José Lucero

Working on:
1/35 Autoblnda AB.41
1/48 P-47D Brazilian Jambock Squadron Senta Pua!