Macchi Veltro - First Airplane Kit in Progress

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
Adamello
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Macchi Veltro - First Airplane Kit in Progress

Post by Adamello » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:39 am

Hi everyone,

I started building plastic models at the ripe old age of 41 this summer. The Veltro was supposed to be a diversion from my first kit - a Ducati 916 motorcycle - a diversion inspired by seeing the instructions for Eduard's cockpit for said aircraft.

I began the cockpit with the idea of doing a Serie I, but after dropping the finished instrument panel and doing irreparable damage, the plane is now on its way to becoming a Serie III.

The photos show the cockpit after about two months' work. Things are going slowly because a) I don't have as much time as I'd like, and b) I really have no idea what I'm doing. I will update this thread as things progress.

Adam

P.S. To the Czech modelers here on the forum, I was at the recent Eduard E-Day event and saw your great table. There was no one at the table when we passed; otherwise I would have said hello.

Adam Goloda

GAJouette
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by GAJouette » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Adam,
Beautiful work so far.keep us posted.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:34 pm

Welcome! I'm not sure what's in the water in the Czech Republic, but it seems you good boys are all Master Builders! I'd be very interested to see the final result! Thank you for posting on Stormo.

Adamello
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Adamello » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks, Gregory and Vince.

Since I am not Czech and nowhere near a master builder (a rank beginner in fact) and we filter our water at home, I am chalking up the results so far to 5% patience and 95% sheer luck.:D

The Czech modelers here on Stormo and many of their fellow countrymen on the Czech/Slovak Model Forum are really on another planet in terms of talent.

Kind regards,

Adam
Adam Goloda

Mirek Riha
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Mirek Riha » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:08 am

Hi Adam,

beautiful work, I look forward to the continuation..

Mirek

Adamello
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Adamello » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been working on some pieces from the FM Details Veltro resin set and have added them to the cockpit temporarily, just to see how they look. I am quite pleased.

The piece containing the lever and oxygen bottle was cut from the resin cockpit floor. I cut the bottle off before painting (so I could spray it) and then glued it back in place. The lever was a separate piece.

The control column is an FM Details/Hasegawa combination. I wasn't successful in cutting the column's bottom portion from the resin floor, so I cut off the bottom of the kit column and glued it to its resin counterpart. One Eduard piece was then added to it. I plan on adding at least two cables to it before it gets installed permanently.

Please excuse the pinkish cast to the photos. The white balance wasn't set properly.

Kind regards,

Adam

Adam Goloda

JeffZ
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by JeffZ » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:06 pm

Great work, very clean and sharp !

Folgore_09
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by Folgore_09 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Very nice work so far Adam--are you still working on this kit? How is it going? Anxious to see more pictures....

Regards,
Alex
Folgore_09
"Flying aircraft such as the Macchi C.200, C.202 and C.205, Fiat G.50 and biplane CR.42, Italian fighter pilots were recognised by their Allied counterparts as brave opponents hampered by under-gunned and underpowered equipment." - from Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #34: Italian Aces of World War 2.

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:47 pm

You're right '09, what happened? Great start, then nothing.

Adamello
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Adamello » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Thanks for asking about my progress.

Shortly after posting these pics, I started working on a MiG-3 cockpit, and then the cooler weather started to set in.

I do all my spraying out on the balcony, so, contrary to the norm, modeling is a warm-weather hobby for me.

I am looking forward to the spring and will definitely post here again after resuming work on the plane.

Kind regards,

Adam
Adam Goloda

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Too bad. The weather here in Chicago s*u*c*k*s, too.

Folgore_09

Post by Folgore_09 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks for the update Adam. Hope you have an early spring there in the Czech Republic! :D

Regards,
Alex
Folgore_09
"Flying aircraft such as the Macchi C.200, C.202 and C.205, Fiat G.50 and biplane CR.42, Italian fighter pilots were recognised by their Allied counterparts as brave opponents hampered by under-gunned and underpowered equipment." - from Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #34: Italian Aces of World War 2.

Adamello
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Adamello » Sun May 31, 2009 7:21 am

Hi Stormo folks,

I have finally gotten around to working on the Veltro again and am attaching a few photos of some bits and pieces.

The cockpit is coming along with the addition of the FM Details oxygen regulator (cut from the resin kit wall) and some fuse wire embellishments. I will attempt to detail the left side more when I get up the courage. I closed up the fuselage temporarily just to see how much of this effort will actually be seen later.

Now to find a template to scribe the proper wing panels - I have no idea what the Czech word for it is, so it makes it difficult to shop around for one.

Kind regards,

Adam

Adam Goloda

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:39 am

The cockpit looks real nice Adam. Keep up the good work.

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:10 pm

hallo adam
i always keep an eye on CNN hoping for nice weather in Prague so i can see more progress on your fantastic looking Macchi as Capitano says keep up the good work and greetings to Prague one of the most beautifull cities in Europe
ciao
stefano