Macchi C200

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:12 am

An airbrush makes a big difference! For matt finishes, I’ve found that the recommended manufactures matt finish generally works best. For example use Tamiya matt finish with Tamiya paints, gunze matt with gunze paints etc. However, the best matt finish I've worked with (across all paint types) is by far Polly Scale flat, it leaves a dead flat finish.

When you’re working with splotches and mottles (1/48 scale and higher) and an airbrush you'll need to frequently clean-out the tip and remix the paint to maintain the consistency of the paint and avoid overspray. I’ve seen templates used also however with varying results. Draw the splotches using a pencil and then use your airbrush.

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks Vince,
I always work with Revell Aqua Color paints and was using the Clear, matt version of theses paints. It is possible that I contaminated the pot myself by not keeping my equipment clean, but it could be just a rogue pot ( I can't say tin because they are square plastic pots). I bought a new pot and it seems to be working fine. With a clear finish it is important not to let it get any trace of colours in it.
I have just received a 'Flying Machines' 1/72nd kit for a C.200 from my model shop and have another AML version also. I have the Skymodels decal sheet for Macchi C.200 and have two versions in mind for future projects.
Cheers Dave. :D
There's so much left to learn and no one left to fight.