Camouflage colours for Aermacchi MB339 A

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
Marc Lumia
Pilota

Camouflage colours for Aermacchi MB339 A

Post by Marc Lumia » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:46 am

Hello,
I'm looking for the paint references(Federal Standard colours / FSC 595) of the camouflage colours of the aermacchi MB339 A used in the Italian air army in the years 1980...1990.
Somebody could help me ?
Thanks in advance,
Marc Lumia
France
800px-Aermacchi_MB-339A,_Italy_-_Air_Force_AN1881169.jpg
Photo of MB339 camouflage scheme in the 80's
800px-Aermacchi_MB-339A,_Italy_-_Air_Force_AN1881169.jpg (82.47 KiB) Viewed 18984 times
800px-Aermacchi_MB-339A,_Italy_-_Air_Force_AN1881169.jpg
Photo of MB339 camouflage scheme in the 80's
800px-Aermacchi_MB-339A,_Italy_-_Air_Force_AN1881169.jpg (82.47 KiB) Viewed 18984 times

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Camouflage colours for Aermacchi MB339 A

Post by Editor » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi Marc,
Firstly, Welcome to Stormo and apologies for the slow response. Some reference photos, a model and FS Colors are on page 44 of Maurizio's book (below). The best reference for this plane from a modelers perspective is the "Aermacchi MB.339", Aviolibri, Special 4, IBN Editore, Maurizio Di Terlizzi, 2000:

When you're done, please post some photos of your work, we're interested to see how the model turns out. Good luck!

Marc Lumia
Pilota

Post by Marc Lumia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:24 am

Hi Vince,
many thanks for your answer,
I already have the book of Mr Di Terlizzi, and I have already apply the FSC paint reference on my model, see the photo.
For model scale competition, it is requested to prove that the paint colours applied on the model are the same references as
the paint applied on the real aircraft.

Unfortunately these colour references coming from this book are not certified by an official authority like
the manufacturer of the aircraft (Aermacchi / Leonardo company now) or by the end user of the aircraft, so the Italian Air Force.

So, I'm looking for a document coming directly from Aermacchi or the Italian Army which clearly mention the
exact paint references used on the MB339 aircraft in the 80's.

In general I'm looking for aircraft military documents which specifies the paint colour references of the Italian aircrafts used in the 80's.

Does the Italian air force use the Federal standard colours (US standard) or an Italian own standard ?

I already tried to contact the public office of the Italian air force and the Leonardo company, but no answer today unfortunately.

Best regards,
Marc
Attachments
AAWNnZGt.jpeg.jpg
AAWNnZGt.jpeg.jpg (104.23 KiB) Viewed 18969 times
AAWNnZGt.jpeg.jpg
AAWNnZGt.jpeg.jpg (104.23 KiB) Viewed 18969 times

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:14 am

Hi Marc,
I'm not sure of work that's been done in this area i.e., 70's-90's era research for color and camouflage of the AMI. During WWII in Italy with the issue of the Tavola X colors, color chips and a list of paint suppliers was used by the aircraft manufacturers. Did you try contacting Maurizio on this board, his username is "macchi205", I also have his email if you need it. I can also put you into contact with Mauro Campo he maybe able to help you.

btw Nice work! Send in a short article if you have time.

Marc Lumia
Pilota

Post by Marc Lumia » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi Vince,
thanks for your answer, I'm trying to contact MR Di Terlizzi so "macchi205", hoping he could answer to me.
About my MB339 models, it is RC aircraft, at scale 1/5.5 size: 2,2m * 2m, weight 11,5 kg, using a miniature turbojet engine
of 8 kg of thrust. This is for scale competition, especially the French championship.
For scale competition with have 3 flights with some patterns like done by the real plane, and
a static evaluation according to the documentation given to the judges.
The static evaluation and score is cominng from:
- the accuracy of the shapes and size,
- the accuracy of markings and details,
- and the accuracy of the colours with a proof of the colour references used by the aircraft manufacturer or the end user,
so this for what I'm looking for informations.

Just below photos of my models,

Best regards
Marc
Attachments
YiOFg00d.jpeg.jpg
YiOFg00d.jpeg.jpg (109.43 KiB) Viewed 18947 times
YiOFg00d.jpeg.jpg
YiOFg00d.jpeg.jpg (109.43 KiB) Viewed 18947 times

Stefano
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Stefano » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:53 pm

I think this link could be useful to you.
https://www.difesa.it/SGD-DNA/Staff/DT/ ... _P_100.pdf
It comes directly from Ministero della Difesa. I hope Italian is not a problem to you.
Stefano

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Stefano Lazzaro ... Mr.Dependable, a scholar and a gentleman and a better man than I will ever be :esmile:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Marc Lumia wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:08 pm
This is for scale competition, especially the French championship.
For scale competition with have 3 flights with some patterns like done by the real plane, and
a static evaluation according to the documentation given to the judges.
The static evaluation and score is cominng from:
- the accuracy of the shapes and size,
- the accuracy of markings and details,
- and the accuracy of the colours with a proof of the colour references used by the aircraft manufacturer or the end user,
so this for what I'm looking for informations.

Just below photos of my models,

Best regards
Marc
Beautiful work Marc, I would like to still include your work in the Gallery if you'd like to submit a short article of this plane and even a video of take off, flight and landing, it would be a great addition to Stormo. Actually I thought it was the real plane.

Marc Lumia
Pilota

Post by Marc Lumia » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:06 am

Hello to All,
many many thanks for the document from the Italian defense ministery, it clealy mentionned the FS colours applied
on their aircrafts, this exactly what I need !
I'm now just trying now to discuss with Mr Di Terlizzi, just to confirm the right FS colour numbers applied on the MB339.
About my models, I've 2 of them, built and paint by myself, starting from a basic kit from an Italian company nammed C&C Models,
headed by Mr Bruno Cavuto. the 1st one(on the photo) is with the camo scheme from the 80's, the second one is all grey as
used today in Italy.
With the 1st plane I finished at the 6th place at the French national championship, and I've started
to repaint the plane to correct some little colour mistakes, so that's what I'm looking for all these colour informations.
I've many photos of the planes but big size and lot of MB, so I looks not possible to post on the forum ? but I can send by email,
let me know.
Best regards
Marc Lumia
France (Toulouse city)

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi Marc, you can send me photos through the main email address. I'd also like a video to hear the beautiful turbojet engine; 18 lbs of thrust, that's amazing.