Fiat CR.42 over Malta

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
davenport49
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Re: Fiat CR.42 over Malta

Post by davenport49 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:48 am

Stefano wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:21 am
Some tips for modelers: colors of early CR.42s were officially named as havana (light tobacco brown) background, green and chestnut brown spots. Choose proper hues among CMPR and Vitocharts palettes. Here spots are very small and dense. Undersides were aluminium paint, not light gray as commonly believed.
Red bolt was on both sides. There's no individual number, just the squadriglia number as the aircraft was in charge of it. Other than pennant, Botto wore a red leather cap for identifying. The front engine cowling had cooling louvers upperside, but I don't know if they were made when still against Malta or when the unit arrived in North Africa.
1/48 Decals for Botto's "73" are in Sky Models decals 48036 (CR.42 part 1), MM digits are in 48037 (part 2).
Stefano
Stefano,
I've studdied the CMPR and Vitocharts on the STORMO website and haven't found any reference to "havana" or "light tobacco brown". Do you have any recommendations?

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Colors in CMPR and Vito are those which has been found, it no means that other paints were used. I think that a GM -perhaps a little more on brown side- could well represent a light brown Havana cigar.
Best regards.
Stefano

davenport49

Post by davenport49 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:08 pm

Thank for the guidance, Stefano. Please disregard the Private Messages, if they come through - requesting the same information.

Richard