Prewar IMAM wing insignia

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
hokusai
Comandante di Squadriglia

Prewar IMAM wing insignia

Post by hokusai » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:53 pm

Apparently this was a typical IMAM prewar insignia with its realistic fasces. Are there any photos out there where it can be seen?
What was the corresponding underside version?
insignia.jpg
insignia.jpg (36.36 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
insignia.jpg
insignia.jpg (36.36 KiB) Viewed 2804 times

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Prewar IMAM wing insignia

Post by Editor » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:05 am

Immediate pre-war IMAM wing fasces were similar to Fiat with a white background - see ADI#12. What is the source of this drawing and what does the caption or description say? Unlikely would have been painted, or perhaps a one-off. If applied to multiple aircraft these markings were likely decals.

hokusai

Post by hokusai » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:25 pm

Thanks for your reply,

The source is a pdf article I downloaded years ago.
AlieuominiTitolo.JPG
AlieuominiTitolo.JPG (41.99 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
AlieuominiTitolo.JPG
AlieuominiTitolo.JPG (41.99 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
The link seems not to exist anymore - or is it the facebook site alieuomini.it (?) (I am not on facebook)
Not sure if I can upload the complete pdf, let me know..

The caption says:

Non stilizzata, a colori. Tipica IMAM ante giugno 1940, presente anche sulle superfici inferiori, bianca su fondo nero.
(Decalcomania) A guerra inoltrata compare anche a stampo seppure più stilizzata e con scuri senza manico, staccate dal
corpo del fascio; con questa forma è presente, inoltre, in tutte le combinazioni di cui al precedente n. 10

deepl-translated:
Unstylized, in color. Typical IMAM pre June 1940, also present on lower surfaces, white on black background.
(Decal) Late in the war it also appears in mold though more stylized and with handle-less hatchets, detached from the body of the beam; with this form it is also present in all the combinations mentioned in No. 10 above.

Actually I notice now that the caption does give an indication about the lower surfaces...but wait.. white on black (?) unstylized(?) white instead of brown (?)

This insignia is also visible on a model presented on cmpr.it

https://www.cmpr.it/IMAM%20Ro.37%20bis/ro.37%20bis.htm

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:56 pm

If a pdf is greater than 256 KiB it won't load. Most pdfs are often MB in size. Try emailing me the pdf instead - attachments in emails are allowed a 25 MB limit.

The caption says the lower surface wing fasces were simplified as below (white fasces on a black background):

The caption also says the fasces in your original post were indeed transfers/decals and likely applied to smaller aircraft such as trainers, fighters and reconnaissance planes.

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

My IMAM Ro.37 Build With Elaborated Fasci Decals

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:42 pm

I'd argue they were painted on, were decals would had cost lots of pretty pennies silkscreening them considering they're multicolored that along with my not seeing any other photo or art renderings of other aircraft sporting them.