RA national insignia on wings

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
aj.cooper
Pilota

RA national insignia on wings

Post by aj.cooper » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 pm

I have only recently begun modelling aircraft of the Regia Aeronautica.
Judging by the evidence so far, I have concluded that RA aircraft in the earlier part of WW2 had a white background to the wing national insignia. Later on, aircraft appear to have had the white deleted, presumably to down-tone the wings for camouflage purposes.

When was the changeover from white background to no background?

Did it apply to all aircraft, or only those with particular tactical roles, such as torpedo bombers & fighters?

Was the rule applied uniformly to upper & lower surfaces?

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Rick » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:56 am

In the Circular by Regia Aeronautica dated September 1st 1941 it is written that the national insigna are constitued by a black circle containing three Fasci Littori in black, positioned towards the wings extremities, both for the upper and lower surfaces; I am not aware of any circular where the background is stated in white (and sometimes, for C200 e.g., in black); in my opinion it is probable that the mimetic background starts from this period, when C200s cease to have black fasci on white background for the upper surface and white fasces with black background for the lower but one has always to look for the photografic evidence; of course I think, that for G50s if the white background is present for the upper surfaces, it is to be used also for lower surfaces, for Reggiane the same rule used for C200s is applicable; for C202s it is possible to have mimetic fasces for the upper surfaces and white fasces on black background for the lower, but only on C202 Macchi built I° series.
Ciao
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta