Macchi Finish Question

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
GAJouette
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by GAJouette » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Vince,
Wow the new scan certainly does look very much different. You know my eyes may be fooling me but the prime sure looks like zinc chromate yellow.I'll have to compair the scan to a bottle of Tester's Zinc Chromate Yellow applied to scrap card stock.Learned many years ago it just doesn't wash trying to match colors to any paint still in the bottle.As for the gear covering I can't tell from the photos I have of the prototype whether or not they were primed or unpainted either.I most likely will stay with the primer coat as with the Ali e Colori profile.I'm willing to assume the folks who brought us AeC#4 had researched the true color used for the profile.Dangerous yes,as we all know what can happen to one who assumes.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Hey Gregory,
In all fairness I wasn't as clear as could have been about the primed areas (unpainted) and the correct color - I suggested possibily anti-corrsion green. Anyway, take note of the profile I posted today, the primer color is just a shade more green than what I posted, but not anti-corrosion green. I think the color depicted in Ali e Colori #4 is closest to a lime-green. The joy of modeling :)

GAJouette

Post by GAJouette » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:20 am

Vince,
I've found another reference for the 202 prototype,actually more like recovered from behind my work desk.It's the Mushroom Model Magazine Special "Macchi C.202 Folgore"On page 73 it has profile of the prototype in primer.If you have a copy of the book take a look and see how the primer color compares to your reference.To my eyes this one looks alot like what Maurizio described as a mixture of Verde Anticorrosione and yellow.Let me know if you don't have this book and I'll try to scan it for you.Ihope in scanning the colors don't change,but you know how that sometimes goes.Take care my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
The quest of the correct color of RA yellow equals way to much AMS.