macchi folgore nocciola chiaro 4 colour

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
stefanuccio
Generale di Brigata Aerea

macchi folgore nocciola chiaro 4 colour

Post by stefanuccio » Fri May 29, 2009 2:56 pm

hallo all
i am a bit confused about the overall colour of the macchi 202 folgore
i a building the hasegawa 1/48 kit and i am at the stage of painting it
i have some small chips of paint fromthe bookColori e schemi mimetici della regia aeronautica a.degl innocenti-u.postiglioni.
I have matched this color to the paint chip nocciola chiaro 4 but it looks very dark especially when compared to photos is this calour correct ?
if not what should i do? can anybody please help me?!
thanks very much
ciao
stefano

Chris Busbridge

Post by Chris Busbridge » Sat May 30, 2009 12:44 am

Nocciola chiaro is a relatively dark pigment. The four-colour CMYK print process makes it very difficult to match colour chips accurately, so I tend not to follow them too closely. It could be the paint has faded a bit on the aircraft.

White Ensign Models have a range of Regia Aeronautica enamels which are considered to be accurate. Check out their website. whiteensignmodels.com.

If you prefer acrylics, Hannants Xtracrylics USAF Vietnam Tan is a pretty good match for nocciola chiaro 4.

warhawk
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by warhawk » Sat May 30, 2009 3:16 am

Also, "scale effect" should be considered. If you paint a model in exactly the same shade like the real thing, it will always appear darker (because the size of the model). Some modelers advise up to 30% lighter shades for small scale models (1/48 and less)

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Sat May 30, 2009 2:18 pm

hallo chris and warhawk
thanks very much for the tips unfortunately i do not have access to the products chris mentioned here only tamiya humbrol and testors range of colours are easier to fing neverthless i can do with your helpfull suggestions
thanks
ciao chris
ciao warhawk
stefano

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Macchi 202 Tavola 10 Colours.

Post by Aeroal » Sun May 31, 2009 6:35 am

Stefanuccio,

Authentic colours can be obtained using the following Michael Starmer Humbrol paint mixes from IPMS UK, SIG Italia Newsletter 51 :

Nocciola Chiaro 4 - 1 tin Hu 119 + 1 tin Hu 118 + 1.25 tins Hu 29
Verde Oliva Scuro 2 - 1 tin Hu 163 + 0.25 tin Hu 15
Grigio Azzuro Chiaro 1 - 1.5 tins Hu 103 + 1 tin Hu 27

Lighten all colours with white, to taste, to allow for fading and weathering.

As someone said, White Ensign Italian colours are also excellent, and are by far the nicest enamel paint I have ever sprayed. Check out their website. They have a super fine pigment and, used sparingly, give a semi translucent effect which is helpful with pre-shading and weathering. They also have a good mail order service.

Regards,

Aeroal.

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:44 pm

thanks aeroal you are a star !!!
i really appreciate your imput al tresure this informations
ciao
stefano

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

MC202 Tavola 10 Paint Mixes

Post by Aeroal » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:55 am

Stefanuccio,

Glad to be of help. It is frustrating when you can't obtain the authentic colours you need. Michael Starmer's Humbrol paint mixes list all Regia Aeronautica paints including the Mimetico Range, Tavola 10 and the insignia colours. His Giallo Mimetico 3 is the only authentic shade I have come across in enamel paint. I know Lifecolour and Misterkit do excellent colours, but in acrylics only. Unfortunately I cannot spray acrylics wthout blocking the nozzle of my airbrush, so they are out for me.
I therefore cope by using Mr. Starmer's Humbrol mixes and the occasional White Ensign tinlet.

Regards,

Aeroal.

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:49 pm

ciao aeroal
it was really a good help
it is definitively frustrating not to have the proper colors the models real hart and soul are the colors if they not authentic or at least very closed to autenticity even if the model is absolutly fantastic losess the historical aspect which is vital for the way i conceive modelling
thanks again
ciao stefano