Color question for Serie I Macchi C.200

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
rnardone
Pilota

Color question for Serie I Macchi C.200

Post by rnardone » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:16 pm

Ciao to all!

Been lurking here for a while--lots of great info here! I wish this place was around in the early 1990's when I was building my last RA subjects! I am now working on my first RA subject since I built a 1/48 scale SMER Cr.32 back in 1991.

Question--I'm almost ready to move my 1/48 scale Special Hobby C.200 to the paint shop--but search as I may, I am not able to determine what the color is under the rear canopy glass. I'm doing Bascirotto's airplane, if it matters. I'm thinking Verde Anticorrosione, but might it be Verde 2 instead? I doubt it would be full camouflage....

Also, the airplane in question had the straight rudder hinge, and the roll-over structure--what about the prop hub spinner?

I know the Squadriglia decals are backwards, too. I'll replace them with some from my decal box.

Thanks in advance!

Ralph

stefanuccio
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by stefanuccio » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:52 pm

hallo rnardone
welcome to the forum
i am sure that a lot of master modellers of stormomagazine will be able to help you better than me
however my personal opinion is that the interior of the macchi mc 200 is in verde-anticorrosione about the spinner cone some of the saettas did not have any i do not know the reason for it but i am sure if you are doing the version of the maresciallo Gian Lino GIRI Baschirotto 88a squadriglia 6o gruppo coded 88-9 that it did not have a spinner like is portaited in some schematic instructions i have seen in the past
You have chosen a faschinating subject with a very demanding camouflage i would like to see some pics when is going to be finalised
ciao stefano

rnardone
Pilota

Post by rnardone » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Grazie Stefano...

Good to know about the spinner, I won't worry about it. The cockpit proper has already been painted in Verde Anticorrsione, but the top of the fuselage under the canopy is what I'm looking for--Special Hobby's instructions aren't very good in the color call-out respect.

I should have the model done in the next week or so, and a complete build article will appear in Internet Modeler. I'll post a link once the article is up....

Ciao!

Ralph

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:51 pm

hallo Ralph
cant wait to see it i love that kind of aircraft i also would like to see what the new italerei 1/48 kit looks like as it is such difficult plane to get hold on
ciao stefano

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:54 pm

Thanks for your post Ralph and welcome to Stormo. If you can get a copy of the Aero Detail book, it contains allot of useful photos. The cockpit glass interior was typically the same color as the cockpit itself, either verde anticorrosione or a light grey primer/paint similar to GAC. However, if you examine the photos in AD you'll note the interior canopy of the Serie VII C.200 at Vigna di Valle was also painted black, although the cockpit was light grey. Riccardo not long ago made a similar observation for some C.202 windscreens which can also be seen in the AD photos of some of the C.202s. I think you can safety rule out the use of camouflage colors for the interior canopy glass. I would use verde anticorrosione for the cockpit interior including the inside glass canopy.

Propeller hubs were present on Serie I machines that were flown briefly by 4o Stormo. The planes were exchanged for CR.42s of 1o Stormo in June 1940, however photos of 1o Stormo machines seem to indicate the hubs were removed. I would also get Riccardo Trotta’s and Stefano Lazzaro’s input.

Rick

cockpit glass internal color

Post by Rick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:19 am

I can only report the results of a study by Ferdinando D'Amico,published on the site www.150gct.it , which, based on several photos, showed as Macchi C200 airplanes had the internal glass in black while Breda airplanes were in verde anticorrosione; C 200 Breda airplanes can be individuated by the short arms of the tail cross and Macchi by the long vertical arm of the tail cross and also by the poached egg camouflage
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

modeldad
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by modeldad » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:38 am

There are some other issues: Did the aircraft have a straight rudder hinge or one with a mass balance at the top? Did the aircraft have a roll-over frame in the rear under the canopy or not?

I have a picture of 88-2 and 88-3 (but not Baschirotto's) and neither have the roll over frame. Although very fuzzy, one may also have the straight rudder hinge. Neither have a spinner cap.

What I find interesting is that one aircraft has the 88 in black, the other in white. Both allegedly photographed at the same location and time.

The SH kit has a mass balanced rudder.

See: http://kits.kitreview.com/sh48033reviewse_1.htm
Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman

rnardone
Pilota

Post by rnardone » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:36 am

modeldad wrote:There are some other issues: Did the aircraft have a straight rudder hinge or one with a mass balance at the top? Did the aircraft have a roll-over frame in the rear under the canopy or not?
The one photo I have of the airplane I'm modeling (page 73 in the Osprey AoA series) shows the straight rudder and the roll-over structure. The same photo confirms that the airplane is painted in poached egg camouflage. This is a Macchi-built airplane, it is MM 5797 which makes it a Serie II airplane (one of the 46 produced by Macchi). The pilot is standing in front of the Squadriglia number, and all the photo shows is from the cockpit aft.

The only part of the numbers I can see are part of the second 8 and the dash (black) and the individual aircraft number which appears to be red. This is consistent with the kit decals.

Thanks, all, for the help.

Ralph

François
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by François » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:19 am

I'm planning also to build GianLino Baschirotto's plane. But about the markings on this kit, is the archer on the unit insigna supposed to be pointing forward? On the decal sheet, both insignas are symmetrical. So on one side, it will be pointing aft. On Skymodels decal sheet 48-015, the archer points forward on both side. Can someone confirm that?

Rick

badge position

Post by Rick » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:53 pm

I hope these images can clarify

Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:07 pm

ciao Riccardo
excellent shot of this aircraft that is really self explanatory i am sure that such photos are really scarce
ciao stefano

François

Post by François » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks for the clarification! An image is worth a thousand words. With this proof, I will use the insignas from my MC. 202 sheet on my MC. 200!!!!!!!

rnardone
Pilota

Post by rnardone » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:05 am

Québec wrote:Thanks for the clarification! An image is worth a thousand words. With this proof, I will use the insignas from my MC. 202 sheet on my MC. 200!!!!!!!
That's what I plan on doing as well--I am going to search through my decal box until I come up with a suitable replacement.

So far, that seems to be the biggest goof in the Special Hobby kit. I can live without photoetch, and the few areas that need some refining (gear wells, engine truss) are by no means difficult to do.

Ralph