RLM Camo

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
chrism
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

RLM Camo

Post by chrism » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:09 pm

I have a general question concerning RLM colors on Italian aircraft. For example, some Fiat G55s were painted in 74, 75 and 76 RLM colors. Was this scheme painted at the factory or at the field and did the Germans supply the paint or were there Italian paint companies that provided shades similar to RLM specs?

Peter I.
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Peter I. » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:50 am

Accourding to the book "Camouflage and Markings of the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana 1943 - 1945" by Ferdinando D'Amico and Gabriele Valentini most Macchi MC.205s and Fiat G.55s were painted with the RLM colours in the field, with paints supplied by the Germans.

If you can, get hold of this book, its a great refererence.

Hope this is of help.

Peter

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Peter I. wrote:Accourding to the book "Camouflage and Markings of the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana 1943 - 1945" by Ferdinando D'Amico and Gabriele Valentini most Macchi MC.205s and Fiat G.55s were painted with the RLM colours in the field, with paints supplied by the Germans.

If you can, get hold of this book, its a great refererence.
I'll second that, an excellent book and very well researched. D'Amico corrects some mistakes made in the past and adds a wealth of new information collected since his last book. This book is the standard for ANR markings and camouflage. Top notch research.

Daniele Gatti
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Daniele Gatti » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:59 pm

The Fiat factory camouflage for the G.55 were:

"Herringbone"
VOS
"Green lizard"

..The others were painted "on the field"..