mushroom publications CR42 book

Post topics relating to the Regia Aeronautica, OOB, planning, strategy, tactics, strategic bombing, personalites (e.g., Italo Balbo, Giulio Douhet)
steveiow
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

mushroom publications CR42 book

Post by steveiow » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:49 pm

I have just finished the above book-quite good,lots of pics and detail.
It makes a statement that CR42's were flown to East Africa inside S82 airplanes,which,I think,is common knowledge.
It then go's on to say,in a footnote,that 45 S79 bombers were transported in the same way!!!!
I have never heard of this before and doubt you could fit an S79 inside a S82 in the way they transported CR42's.
Anyone else know anything about this?
Steve

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:34 pm

S.79s were either flown to AOI through NA or were to be transported aboard ships. See Giulio Gobbi's article for more information:

https://stormomagazine.com/Articles/The ... ainAOI.htm

steveiow
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by steveiow » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:27 am

Thanks for the reminder of Guilio's article,Vince(which I had read,but just re-read it)but again,there is no mention of flying S79's in S82's.
I have also just read'Air war in East Africa 1940-41'by Pen & Sword books which again do's not refer to this method of transporting S79's.
I don't know where the author,Przemyslaw Skulski,got his info from,in the Mushroom book,but I think it's wrong-he quotes a figure of 45 too!
Steve

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:10 am

I agree, I don't think this information is accurate. Either he was referring to the CR.42 (but not 45) or supply parts for the S.79 which the S.82 was known to have done e.g., supply of torpedoes to airbases at Rhodes.