2nd Italo-Abyssinian War Aircraft and Equipment?

Post topics relating to the Italian conquest of Lybia, Ethopia and the Italian involvement in Spain. Also covers Italian politics in Austria and arms sales to China, Japan and South America
vikingcelt
Comandante di Squadriglia

2nd Italo-Abyssinian War Aircraft and Equipment?

Post by vikingcelt » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:08 am

Hi ALL!!! :D

This is my first day posting on STORMO! I'm glad to be a member here, it looks like a great site! :wink:

Can anyone tell me where to get accurate lists of which planes and other equipment, like tanks, weapons, etc..., were used by both combatants in the 2nd Italo-Abyssinian War 1935-1936? :)

I am an avid wargamer as well as a modeler, and want to build up accurate forces for some good scenarios for this period; then I can also use similar stuff for when the British come into East Aftrica in the early '40's as well... :shock:

Thanks for all you help, and have a great weekend. I appreciate it very much. :D

Sincerely,
Ernest (aka "the vikingcelt") :wink:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:25 pm

There might be some TO&E information on the combat size units deployed to Abyssinia in "The Italian Invasion of Abyssinia 1935-36 (Men-at-Arms)" Osprey. I'll have to look through the book when I return home this evening.

vikingcelt

Post by vikingcelt » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:59 am

Thanks! :D

PS: Any Fiat CR 32's ever make it to Ethiopia to serve in the conflict?

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:02 pm

This is a very good question, as far as I know CR.32s were not deployed to Ethopia for combat in the Abyssinian war although the plane had been sent to Spain in 1936. ADI #4 Fiat CR.32 Apostolo and "The Fiat Fighters 1930-45" Vergnano make no mention of this plane being sent or involved in combat over Ethopia in 1935-36. In 1938, 410Sq. was sent to Ethopia as part of 155 Sq and was renumbered in 1939. 411 Sq. was sent at about the same time. Both these units tackled Hurricanes, Blenheims and Gladiators of the SAAF in 1940-41. The Ro.37 did cover as a fighter and what Ro.37 units were deployed to Ethopia in 1935-36 likely were sufficient to handle any of the air opposition the Italians encountered. Giulio Gobbi might have something to add, he authored an artilce on this site covering the fighting in AOI 1940-41.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:46 pm

Units equipped with the Fiat Cr.32, dates and locations (Profile Publications No.22 The Fiat CR.32).

vikingcelt

Post by vikingcelt » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:15 pm

Hmmm, yes very interesting... :wink:

- I guess the Italians didn't think they really needed any high performance fighters in Abyssinia, since there was no real threat to the bombers, or to ground troops for that matter, to warrant the deployment of more formidable fighter aircraft - is that a valid assumption? :?

vikingcelt

Post by vikingcelt » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:19 pm

I also observe from the list you've supplied that there is no mention if units deployed in Spain, during the Spanish Civil War. I'm almost certain that the CR 32 did in fact see action there, didn't it??? :?

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:22 pm

Yes I believe that's the reason the Italians didn't deploy (high performance) fighters to the area, there was no need and fuel was better spent on bombers and recon aircraft.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:37 pm

vikingcelt wrote:I also observe from the list you've supplied that there is no mention if units deployed in Spain, during the Spanish Civil War. I'm almost certain that the CR 32 did in fact see action there, didn't it??? :?
In the early stages of the Spanish Civil War units sent from Italy and Germany were often sent unoffically (as volunteers). As a result air units were numbered differently, VIo Gruppo, XVIo Gruppo, X and XXIII Gruppi and wouldn't appear on offical lists of the Regia Aeronautica, on which the list above was likely based on.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:40 pm

Aircraft used by the Italians in the Ethiopian War. Fiat CR.20s were used as fighters. The tables and the profile are from the book: "Regia Aeronautica Fronti Africani" by Angelo Emiliani, Giuseppe F. Ghergo and Achille Vigna issued in 1979 by Albertelli.